Saturday, January 31, 2015

Chocolate Mousse - Cookbook Preview



What is not to like about a Chocolate Mousse?  Plus this recipe just has 4 ingredients in it!  Simple pleasures.  I first made this for my parents back when I was a teenager and started to cook full meals. I really liked having the kitchen to myself and surprising them with a meal complete with dessert. I can't remember the French meal I cooked but I do remember the Mousse. Fairly simple yet oh so delicious!

This recipe is featured in my family cookbook which will be unveiled hopefully this spring. From the Hall Family Cookbook, hand lettered and illustrated by yours truly.


Ingredients: 

12 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate drops or chips
4 eggs, separated in two different bowls
2/3 Cup water
1/2 Cup brown sugar

Tools: 

Double Boiler
Good mixer
Wooden spoon
Spatula
Large bowls
Serving dishes or goblets


Separate the yolks from the whites and set aside. Start slowly melting the chocolate over your double boiler which is gently boiling your water underneath your top pan.  


I decided to double the recipe!



Meanwhile beat the egg whites mixed with the brown sugar until it forms stiff peaks. Lovely!


Continue stirring and melting the chocolate until smooth. 


Beat the yolks and add the water. Mix thoroughly. Slowly add the yolks and water to the melted chocolate still over the heat in the double boiler. Stir continuously until the mixture combines thoroughly and becomes smooth once again. 

Remove from heat.  I moved the chocolate to a larger bowl at this stage. Slowly fold in the egg whites to the chocolate until smooth and uniform in color. 





Spoon the mousse into your serving glasses, dishes or goblets. Chill. Serve with fresh whipped cream!  



Don't count calories. Enjoy the moment. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment