Thursday, March 22, 2012

So this is it!

This is the first post in my food blog which will initially be dedicated to my Hall Family Cookbook which has been in the works for over a decade.  At first I just wanted to compile all the recipes that I grew up with in my own family.  Not too long after I decided that, I realized it would be cool to ask for recipes from my husband's side of the family, and to ask my sisters and their kids to send me any favorite recipes that they had.  I started to get recipes coming in from around the country and found that there were so many different types of recipes coming in.  My love for drawing and art work led me to decide to hand letter and illustrate each recipe.  I am now over 100 recipes in to the cookbook and as I look over each page I have created my heart is filled with great memories and an appreciation for how cooking can thread together a family in so many ways. 

The kitchen has always been the centerpiece to our home for as long as I can remember.  The family dinner table was a tradition that created a time for our family to come together (usually in peace as I can recall) and eat our last meal of the day together.  My mom was an avid cook and baker, and my dad got into it too with a few favorite recipes of his, and of course he was in charge of the barbecue.  I feel that my parents left a legacy that all of us kids (there were 6 of us) inherited and are passing on to our own children, and hopefully to future generations to come.

The other day I amused myself at the thought of creating a food blog, going through each recipe I am compiling in my cookbook and dedicate myself to cooking and blogging about one recipe a week.  I don't know how Julie of the Julie and Julia project managed to do all those recipes in one year!  I am giving myself more space aka less stress! 

The recipes are a mixture of old style, traditional, and newly inspired dishes, baked goods, desserts, and even some drinks.  I am sure you will find recipes that you want to try and they just might become a family favorite for you too!  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Liz! You have started what I hope will be a fun and rewarding journey through blog land.
    After having the privilege of peeking at your cook book with it's encredible recipes and artful illustrations I just know that your family must be so proud of you. What a wonderful way to extend an invitation to all of us to join you at the table and to get to know your fine family.
    Yaaaay I'm your first follower and I saw it on face book first! Great networking!
    Wishing you all the best.
    Lisa & Barkley

    ReplyDelete
  2. And check out my art blog which I also started at:

    http://lizevansart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete