Sunday, February 2, 2014

Coffee Syrup

What to do with leftover coffee?  Make coffee syrup!  My first attempt came out pretty darn delicious and I am sure I will experiment with variations of it in the future. I took a cup of left over fresh brewed hazelnut coffee and added it to a heavy bottomed sauce pan. To this I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract, a cup of white cane sugar and a quarter cup of light corn syrup just for the heck of it. I had the stove set on medium (electric ceramic stove top) and continuously stirred it until all the sugar was dissolved. I sprinkled in some cream of tarter (not sure why, it just sounded fun) and added about another cup of cane sugar and continued to stir it on a very light boil for about ten minutes. After removing the pan from the stove and letting it cool for 30 minutes I poured it into a used and cleaned syrup bottle. 

It is great over ice cream and added to a fresh cup of hot coffee. I want to try it in Italian Cream Sodas which I will post about when I get some heavy cream and Club Soda. Another thought is to take a slice of pound cake, put it on your serving plate, add sliced fresh raspberries and/or strawberries, top with whipped cream then drizzle it with the coffee syrup. Until next time, happy cooking ~ happy tummies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment